wired and wireless network manager - metapackage
Wicd is a general-purpose network configuration server which aims to provide a simple but flexible interface for connecting to networks. Its features include:
- wide variety of settings;
- ability to connect to (and maintain profiles for) both wired and wireless networks;
- support for many encryption schemes, including WEP, WPA, WPA2 and custom schemes;
- wireless-tools compatibility;
- tray icon showing network activity and signal strength;
- lack of GNOME dependencies (although it does require GTK+), making it easy to use in Xfce, Fluxbox, Openbox, Enlightenment, etc. This is a metapackage, it allows installation of all the components of Wicd, including one of the clients, which must be manually chosen.