Splashtop Streamer for Ubuntu Linux (Beta)
A high-performance audio-video streaming server enabling remote access.
Splashtop Streamer is a high-performance audio-video streaming server, enabling remote access from an Android device (tablet/phone) or an iOS device (iPad/iPhone/iPod). You can connect within a Local Area Network or through a cross-network or Internet connection.
Due to its efficient protocol, algorithms and optimizations, Splashtop has been shown in performance benchmarks to deliver up to 15x higher video frame rates and up to 10x lower latency times than its competition. Splashtop sessions are secured with SSL and 256-bit AES encryption, allowing it to serve as a secure pipe between devices, in some cases allowing users to eliminate their need for separate VPN solutions.
With this version of Splashtop Streamer, you can connect to a Linux computer and do the following:
• view and edit files remotely (no transferring or syncing)
• run your favorite Linux programs
• stream your music collection
• watch videos at up to 30 frames per second with low latency
• play graphics-intensive games
• use multilingual input methods
• perform on-the-fly transcoding of various video and audio formats
In addition, the Linux version of Splashtop Streamer allows the fine-tuning of the video frame rate and the setting of port numbers by manually editing a configuration file (which is not available in the Mac or the Windows version of Splashtop Streamer).
The user must be logged in to a Splashtop account in order to use the Streamer and client programs. A Splashtop account can be created FREE of charge after launching the Streamer software or the client app. Please refer to: http://support-splashtop2.splashtop.com/entries/21727857-i-am-a-new-splashtop-2-user-where-and-how-do-i-create-a-splashtop-account
• Splashtop Streamer for Linux supports Splashtop 2 clients (iOS and Android versions)
• Splashtop Streamer for Linux does not support legacy Splashtop client apps
• Splashtop is developing a Linux client but it is not yet available
• This version of the Splashtop Streamer supports Ubuntu version 12.10 and 12.04; currently there is no support for other versions of Ubuntu or other Linux distributions