Rygel is a collection of DLNA (UPnP AV) services (devices in UPnP speak), implemented through a plug-in mechanism. Important facts and features:
- APIs to ease the implementation of AV devices (currently only MediaServer V 3.0 specification).
- Audio and Video Transcoding: source format could be anything GStreamer's decodebin can handle but output formats are currently limited to: mp3, AAC, PCM, MPEG TS and low-res H.264. Fortunately the transcoding framework is flexible enough to easily add more transcoding targets.
- Specifically designed for GNOME (Mobile).
- Based on GUPnP.
- Written (mostly) in Vala language. This package contains the core of Rygel and following plugins:
- media-export: Recursively exports folders and files specified in the user configuration. This plugin supports all types of URIs that gio/gvfs and GStreamer can handle.
- external: A MediaServer plugin that exports media hierarchies provided by external applications.
- mpris: Export of media players that implement MPRIS2 D-Bus interface, as MediaRenderer devices.